Wednesday 16 November 2016

Feature Film - Worth it?

Article written by Bulent Ozdemir
(DisclaimerThis article contains words and phrases that some people may find offensive. Please do not continue if easily offended)

 
6 years on my filmmaking journey has shown me that the motion picture game, from indie film level all the way up, is a closed playground for the few. And unless you have the money or contacts, chances of getting to have a kick about in that playground is highly unlikely. That is, if you're playing by the rules.

Based on my my current setup, I reckon I could potentially shoot a self contained feature film within 10 days. But the question I always find myself asking is:

Will it be worth it?

I'm the type of person who tends to over analyse the SHIT out something. Knowing what I do, how do I justify this "worth" to myself?

The fact that I've shot it? 

That's an achievement in itself, right? I did it, woohoo! Now let's throw it up on Vimeo and see if we can get 100 views over the course of a fucking YEAR. 

It was shown on the big screen? 

The boner of seeing it on the big screen. Yeah, Buddy! Me and a few peeps sat in the basement of a dark and dingy pub somewhere nobody's even fucking heard of, eating stale popcorn. Oh yes.

Will someone open the playground gates for me?

Hahahahaaaa... Next --

I ask myself these questions because at the end of the day, chances are that I'll be putting in 95% of the work, from pre-production all the way to post and beyond. Some people may argue that this is a choice. Some people may be right.

Here's the thing:

- When you're at a cross road of your journey where you're done with Chasing Amy, Tom, Dick and Ahmed and you're done with playing by the rules, what then?

- When you've shot the short films, music videos, documentaries, corporates and you want some next level shit, what then?

- When you know the playground's closed, the contacts non existent and the money's tight, what then?

I'll still be making shorts etc, but the last frontier left for me is to make a feature. It'll be hard work (something I'm not shy of) and potentially take up 2 years of my life. Question is, will making a feature film be worth it? -- There I fucking go again!

Until next time, folks.


What do you think? Are you at a crossroads of your journey? Holla in the comments section below.


You might also like:
Great vs. Undeniable
What a (Good) Story Means to Me



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Bulent Ozdemir Director Filmmaker
Bulent Ozdemir is a self taught Writer, Director and Filmmaker who left his day job as an insurance broker back in 2010 to pursue a career in film.

website
twitter
instagram

e: bulentfilms[at]gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment