Monday 15 September 2014

You Don't Hate Mondays, You Hate Your JOB

Article written by Bulent Ozdemir
(DisclaimerThis article contains words and phrases that some people may find offensive. Please do not continue if easily offended)

meetsobsession.com

In 2010 I left my day job as an insurance broker to follow my heart into the creative world of filmmaking. Up until that point I was tied to a desk for 8+ hours of a day, haggling with people from all walks of life.

I dreaded, no, HATED Mondays. The thought of getting up in the morning and dragging myself into that environment made me sick to my core. Not because of the people I worked with, but because of the job itself. Being a middle man in any given business means only one thing --> Prostitution. Forget morals, forget dignity, forget self worth, it's all about bringing in the money. But I'm gonna save all that for another post.

Just for shits and giggles, my top 3 (office) work places to prostitute yourself:

  1. Estate Agents (Realtors) 
  2. Brokers
  3. Recruiters

I should know, I've worked in the top 2!

OK, let's get down to it.

For the past few weeks I've been coming across a UK TV commercial for a recruitment firm with the tagline: "You Don't Hate Mondays, You Hate Your Job." Even though I can't stand recruiters, the statement is absolutely true. When you're in a job you hate, you claw at the weekend to arrive. It's the time where you can let your hair down, blow off steam and scream "freeeedddooooommmm!" Sweat baby Jeebus, it feels so good.

Then suddenly it's Sunday night. That moment of: "What the fuck? Where'd my weekend go?" hits you quicker than a premature ejaculation. Monday looms over you like the angel of death. You'd probably consider sucking dick to turn back those last 48hrs... Guys, I don't wanna make this shit too dark. You know what I'm talking about.

What are your options? Well, to state the obvious: Change. Your. JOB.



I don't mean drop everything right now, tell your boss to go fuck themselves and walk out. No. Firstly you need to figure out what makes you happy. Anyone who's anyone has always done something in their lives that have made them feel happy, before "real life" kicked them in the baby-makers. You might even be doing it right now as a 'hobby'. What's to stop you from following a career path in that field? Nothing, except YOU.

(What made me happy was being creative. This ranged from writing narrative stories, poetry to drawing. Funny thing is, I've being doing that kinda stuff nearly all my life. Just didn't realise I could do it as a paid job. Good Ol' Mediterranean upbringing to thank for that!).

Bills, commitments and other social instances will always be there. Don't let them be the guiding factor in a life you only live once. Get out of your comfort zone, create an action plan for yourself and take a risk. Then maybe, just maybe, you'll start to love Mondays :)

Until next time, folks.


You might also like:
Fight Your Demons
5 Things To Consider Before Quitting Your Day Job



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bulent Ozdemir Director Filmmaker
Bulent Ozdemir is a self taught Writer, Director and Filmmaker who left his day job as an insurance broker back in 2010 to pursue a career in film.

website
twitter
instagram

e: bulentfilms[at]gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment